January Gardening Tips
- We know you’re anxious to get out and start gardening (we are too), take this time to dream up and order everything you need.
- Pick up a seed catalog or stop by a local greenhouse and starting planning!
- If you don’t already have one, start a garden journal. This will help you help you plan better in the future.
- Get your tools ready to go, sanitize and sharpen them as needed.
Prepare for Spring plantings:
- Take deciduous shrub and tree cuttings for grafting in the Spring; store them in a cool and dry space until used.
- Check on your mulch and ensure it’s adequate for the upcoming wet weather to maintain a healthy soil below.
- Clean up any debris in and around your garden beds, pests love to hibernate under them during the winter months.
- Monitor plants for any signs or symptoms of pests. If found, take a sustainable and cultural approach to control them.
- Keep an eye out for moss in your lawn, if notable, it may indicate poor drainage and/or inadequate sunlight. Take steps to improve any problems prior to spring to ensure a luscious lawn.
- Test the pH of the soil below your lawn.
- Soil health varies throughout the landscape. If needed, apply lime (calcium carbonate) now to ensure suitable pH during the upcoming growing season.
- Pro Tip: Test soil once every 500 square feet, especially in areas that appear poor.
“These guys are awesome. Made the right recommendations for my truck size and were super helpful in determining the proper material for the project. All in all excellent service and superior attitude.”
– Dakine E.
“I came in on a Saturday afternoon. It was cold and drizzly and the gentleman that helped me load was still very courteous and friendly and smiled the entire time! It was a really surprisingly pleasant and cost-effective experience for getting wood! (I didn’t realize your prices were so good!)”
– Mishel W.
“I have been very pleased with Highway Fuel over the years. I get a lot of soil and compost products as well as pellets in the winter. They delivered 2 truck loads of soil mix to me this morning. Their driver was terrific – he worked with me to get it unloaded in the right place and in a way that took hours off my work to move it around. Competitive prices – great people! Thank you.”
– Robin S.